Dodging a bullet
So it looks like my water crisis has hopefully come to an end. I am going to chalk it up to bad timing on getting the system started up…delays in fish delivery, first round of seeds (old) didn’t take, etc.
Over the last two weeks I have been watching my ammonia and nitrites start to climb. My nitrites went off of my measurable scale (with my kit) because about 5ppm, your fish will get nitrite poisoning…which is what happened. The plants were not big enough and I didnt put them into the system soon enough for them to complete the process.
A few partial water changes and dumping all my sprouts in the grow bed and everything is finally starting to take hold. The plants are developing good root systems, the water is completely in spec, it appears that I have lost 19 fish out of the 30 that I started with (nitirite poisoning) but there are 11 left and they are growing.
My concern now is I don’t have enough fish to supply enough nutrients for the plants. If everything holds together over the next few days, I will order some more Tilapia and kick it into gear. Steep learning curve but at least its not completely a bust.